About ent second opinion
This free website is meant to provide a second opinion about diseases of Ear, Nose, Throat and Head & Neck. This is not meant to provide a primary consultation. Only patients who have already seen an ENT specialist, and their condition has been investigated, and a diagnosis has been made may ask for a second opinion.
the Middle Ear Effusion in children
Signs and Symptoms
- It can go unnoticed, as it is not normally associated with pain like earaches
- It is normally associated with hearing loss
- It can also be associated with symptoms due to enlargement of adenoids
- It can also follow an acute infection of middle ear
- Examination of the ear
- Middle ear pressure should be checked an objective test called tympanometry
- A hearing test should also be carried out
- It is a self limiting condition, where it is possible for it to resolve itself over a period of three months, meaning there is no need for any treatment
- Medications like antihistamines and antibiotics, nasal sprays etc. are not indicated and have no benefit
- If OME is not an incidental finding, then parents and others can implement simple measures to support the hearing loss and minimize the effect of OME
- If the OME does not resolve itself, then a small surgical procedure called Myringotomy can be performed to place a ventilation tube.